Did you know....
- The UK has the oldest, coldest most poorly insulated homes in Europe – we want to change that.
- The UK has the highest number of excess winter deaths in Europe – that is a tragically under reported figure and few people seem to be aware of it.
- Buildings in the UK are responsible for 38% of our CO2 emissions, with domestic homes emitting the majority of this, 28%.
- The UK has a legal commitment to cutting CO2 emissions by 80% by 2050 and the UK housing stock presents a significant challenge as we progress towards meeting these goals.
- 55% of the housing stock was built before 1960, this is unique in Europe. 21% was built before 1919. This includes our all of our beloved Victorian and Edwardian homes.
- 75% of existing housing stock will still be here in 2050
So what do we do?
MakeMyHomeGreen wants to tackle the challenges presented by our aging housing stock. We want to preserve them and make them work better, make them fit for 21st Century living.
We want to work towards better building standards, using better materials and taking a better approach to improving our homes than simply squeezing as much money out of them as possible in the shortest space of time with no regard for quality of life, happiness, well-being and the preservation of our heritage.
We want to make our homes better places to live. This is our mission and these are our values.